window photography

Trinity College

Trinity College (Irish: Coláiste na Tríonóide), formally known as the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth near Dublin, is the sole constituent college of the University of Dublin in Ireland. The college was founded in 1592 as the “mother” of a new university, modelled after the collegiate universities of Oxford and of Cambridge, but, unlike these, only one college was ever established; as such, the designations “Trinity College” and “University of Dublin” are usually synonymous for practical purposes. It is one of the seven ancient universities of Britain and Ireland as well as Ireland’s oldest university. If you want to read more: click HERE

·

De Universiteit van Dublin (Iers: Ollscoil Átha Cliath, Engels: University of Dublin) is de oudste universiteit van Ierland. Anders dan de beroemde Britse universiteiten als Oxford en Cambridge bestaat de universiteit maar uit één college: Trinity College. In de praktijk geldt Trinity College dan vaak ook als synoniem voor Universiteit van Dublin. De universiteit is in 1592 opgericht door koningin Elizabeth I. Wil je meer lezen over de Trinity College Library (Book of Kells): klik HIER

 

Klik op een foto om naar de slideshow te gaan – slideshow: click on a picture

 

 

The Custom House

The Custom House (Irish: Teach an Chustaim) is a neoclassical 18th-century building in Dublin, Ireland which houses the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government. It is located on the north bank of the River Liffey, on Custom House Quay between Butt Bridge and Talbot Memorial Bridge.

 

The Custom House (Iers: Teach an Chustaim) is een neoklassiek 18e-eeuws gebouw in Dublin, Ierland, die het ministerie van Milieu, Gemeenschap and Lokale Gemeenschap herbergt. Het is gelegen op de noordelijke oever van de rivier de Liffey, op Custom House Quay tussen Butt Bridge en Talbot Memorial Bridge.

 

the building with the dome – het gebouw met de koepel

 

Dublin Customer House-6834

 

 

Ha’penny Bridge

The Ha’penny Bridge (Irish: Droichead na Leathphingine, or Droichead na Life), known later for a time as the Penny Ha’penny Bridge, and officially the Liffey Bridge, is a pedestrian bridge built in 1816 over the River Liffey in Dublin, Ireland. Made of cast iron, the bridge was cast at Coalbrookdale in Shropshire, England.

Before the Ha’penny Bridge was built there were seven ferries, operated by a William Walsh, across the Liffey. The ferries were in a bad condition and Walsh was informed that he had to either fix them or build a bridge. Walsh chose the latter option and was granted the right to extract a ha’penny toll from anyone crossing it for 100 years. Initially the toll charge was based, not on the cost of construction, but to match the charges levied by the ferries it replaced. A further condition of construction was that, if the citizens of Dublin found the bridge and toll to be “objectionable” within its first year of operation, it was to be removed at no cost to the city.

The toll was increased for a time to a Penny Ha’penny (one and a half pence), but was eventually dropped in 1919. While the toll was in operation, there were turnstiles at either end of the bridge.

 −

De Ha’penny Bridge (Iers: Droichead na Leathphingine) is een voetgangersbrug over de Liffey in Dublin, die ook tijdelijk de Penny Ha’penny heeft geheten, officieel is het de Liffey Bridge. De brug is gebouwd in 1816 en gemaakt van gietijzer, dat geproduceerd is in Coalbrookdale, Shropshire.

Voordat de brug werd gebouwd voeren er zeven veerboten over de Liffey. Het bedrijf werd geëxploiteerd door een zekere William Walsh. De boten verkeerden echter in een slechte staat, en Walsh werd medegedeeld dat hij ofwel de boten moest repareren, ofwel een brug moest bouwen. Walsh koos voor de laatste optie en hem werd het recht verschaft om een halve penny (ha’penny) tol te vragen aan iedere voetganger die de brug over wilde steken. De hoogte van de tol was in eerste instantie niet gebaseerd op de bouwkosten van de brug, maar op de prijs die men moest betalen om over te varen met de veerboten, welks plaats de brug had ingenomen. Een andere voorwaarde voor het bouwen van de brug was dat als de inwoners van Dublin de brug en de tol tegenstond in het eerste jaar na de oplevering, Walsh de brug op eigen kosten moest afbreken.

De tolprijs werd verhoogd naar een Penny Ha’penny (anderhalve pence), maar werd uiteindelijk geheel afgeschaft. In de periode dat er tol geheven werd, stond er aan weerskanten van de brug een hefboom.

 

Dublin-6919

 

 

no borders

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,061 other followers