popular pubs

 

Klik op een foto om naar de slideshow te gaan – slideshow: click on a picture

 

 

Popular pubs located in the heart of Dublin’s Temple Bar and where delicious food is served throughout the day and live entertainment in the evening.

Populaire pubs in het hart van Dublin’s Temple Bar. Overdag wordt er heerlijk voedsel geserveerd en ‘s avonds is er muziek met een life orkestje.

Guinness Storehouse

Klik op een foto om naar de slideshow te gaan – slideshow: click on a picture

 

 

Guinness Storehouse is a Guinness-themed tourist attraction at St. James’s Gate Brewery in Dublin, Ireland. Since opening in 2000, it has received over four million visitors.

The Storehouse covers seven floors surrounding a glass atrium shaped in the form of a pint of Guinness. The ground floor introduces the beer’s four ingredients (water, barley, hops and yeast), and the brewery’s founder, Arthur Guinness. Other floors feature the history of Guinness advertising and include an interactive exhibit on responsible drinking. The seventh floor houses the Gravity Bar with views of Dublin and where visitors may drink a pint of Guinness included in the price of admission. In 2006, a new wing opened incorporating a live installation of the present day brewing process.

 

Het Guinness Storehouse is een commerciële toeristische attractie bij de brouwerij van Guinness gelegen in het centrum van Dublin.

In de imposante hoge opslagtoren van de oude bierbrouwerij zijn diverse audiovisuele presentaties gemaakt over hoe het bierbrouwen in zijn werk gaat. Onder andere wordt duidelijk waaraan het Guinness bier zijn zwarte kleur te danken heeft.

Inbegrepen bij de prijs is een glas Guinness, dat kan opgedronken worden op de bovenste verdieping van het Storehouse, met een mooi uitzicht op Dublin.

Trinity College

Klik op een foto om naar de slideshow te gaan – slideshow: click on a picture

 

 

Trinity College (Irish: Coláiste na Tríonóide), formally known as the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth near Dublin, is the sole constituent college of the University of Dublin in Ireland. The college was founded in 1592 as the “mother” of a new university, modelled after the collegiate universities of Oxford and of Cambridge, but, unlike these, only one college was ever established; as such, the designations “Trinity College” and “University of Dublin” are usually synonymous for practical purposes. It is one of the seven ancient universities of Britain and Ireland as well as Ireland’s oldest university. If you want to read more: click HERE

·

De Universiteit van Dublin (Iers: Ollscoil Átha Cliath, Engels: University of Dublin) is de oudste universiteit van Ierland. Anders dan de beroemde Britse universiteiten als Oxford en Cambridge bestaat de universiteit maar uit één college: Trinity College. In de praktijk geldt Trinity College dan vaak ook als synoniem voor Universiteit van Dublin. De universiteit is in 1592 opgericht door koningin Elizabeth I. Wil je meer lezen over de Trinity College Library (Book of Kells): klik HIER

 

park Arenbergkasteel

klik op de foto’s om naar de slideshow te gaan – click a photo to view the slideshow.

 

 

The lords of Heverlee built a first castle here in the 14th century. The van Croy family acquired the domain in 1446.

From the beginning of the 16th century the current castle was built in renaissance-style. It was extensively renovated in neo-gothic style in the 19th century. In 1916 the duke of Arenberg donated the domain to the university. The castle is now used by the Engineering Science faculty of the K.U.Leuven and is the focal point of a green campus for the group Sciences&Technology.

Limited group visits possible by appointment and with a guide.

In de 14de eeuw bouwden de heren van Heverlee hier een eerste kasteel. De familie van Croy verwierf het domein in 1446.

Vanaf het begin van de 16de eeuw werd het huidige kasteel opgetrokken in renaissancestijl. Het werd ingrijpend neogotisch verbouwd in de loop van de 19de eeuw. In 1916 schonk de hertog van Arenberg het domein aan de universiteit.

Vandaag wordt het kasteel gebruikt door de faculteit Ingenieurswetenschappen van de K.U.Leuven. Het is de spil van een groene campus voor de groep Wetenschap & Technologie.

Groepsbezoeken zijn in beperkte mate mogelijk, na afspraak en onder begeleiding van een gids.

 

Bron/source: Leuven